Bitcoin (BTC) Activity Dips: Is the Crypto Giant Returning to Square One?

  • The Bitcoin Runes protocol has seen a sharp decline in activity, which could spell trouble for miners and their earnings.
  • Runes to Bitcoin fees have plummeted from a dominant 77.3% to just 21.1%.
  • The decrease in activity on the protocol and Bitcoin Ordinals has caused miners’ revenue to plunge.

Bitcoin Runes, a new token standard on the Bitcoin blockchain, is experiencing a significant drop in activity, causing concern for miners and their potential earnings.

Bitcoin Runes: A Promising Start Followed by a Sharp Decline

Launched less than a month ago, Bitcoin Runes was developed by Casey Rodarmor, the same developer behind Bitcoin Ordinals. The protocol was designed to enhance the creation and management of fungible tokens on the Bitcoin blockchain. Despite a promising start, with over $135 million in fees generated in its first week, recent data from Dune Analytics shows that activity on the protocol has significantly decreased.

Impact on Miners’ Revenue

At its peak, Runes’ fees accounted for 77.3% of the total Bitcoin fees. However, this has now dropped to just 21.1%, with other fees on the blockchain taking up the remaining 78.9%. This decline could pose a serious risk to miners, who initially benefited from the creation and generation of new rune units. According to on-chain data from Glassnode, miners’ revenue was 533.69 BTC on the 11th of May, a significant decline compared to the 1677.09 BTC recorded on the 20th of April.

Declining Interest in Bitcoin Ordinals and BRC-20 Tokens

It’s not just the Runes protocol that’s experiencing a decrease in activity. Bitcoin Ordinals and BRC-20 tokens are also seeing a drop in interest. BRC-20 tokens are fungible tokens created on Bitcoin using the Taproot update. At the time of writing, the price of ORDI, the largest BRC-20 token by market cap, was $36.37, a staggering 61.88% decrease from its all-time high. Furthermore, ORDI’s volume has also been decreasing, currently standing at $628 million, down from over $6 billion in December 2023.

Conclusion

The sharp decline in activity on the Bitcoin Runes protocol, as well as Bitcoin Ordinals and BRC-20 tokens, could spell trouble for miners and their potential earnings. Unless activity begins to improve, the future outlook for these tokens and the miners who rely on them could be bleak.

Don't forget to enable notifications for our Twitter account and Telegram channel to stay informed about the latest cryptocurrency news.
spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

Donald Trump Turns to Bitcoin (BTC) in Search for Solution to US $35 Trillion Debt Crisis

Bitcoin Magazine CEO David Bailey, who also assisted...

Bitcoin (BTC) Hype Fades as Ethereum (ETH) ETF Ignites Debate on Market Dominance

Bitcoin’s $70K surge seems like a dream...

GameStop (GME) Stock Skyrockets 37% Amidst Silence from Roaring Kitty: What Investors Need to Know

Cryptocurrency markets have experienced significant volatility in...

SHIB ($SHIB) Skyrockets on Solana: Uncover the Next Viral Crypto Sensation

<ul> <li>The new token SHIB on Solana has...
spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

PRO Analysis

Dogecoin (DOGE) Technical Analysis for May 28, 2024: Key Insights and Future Predictions

Dogecoin's recent price movements have captured the...

Massive GCR Hack: Meme Coin Plunge by 80% – GCR Price Analysis and Impact

The cryptocurrency market has been abuzz with...

Why Is Bitcoin (BTC) Dropping? Latest Analysis and Market Insights

<ul> <li>Bitcoin's recent decline is being...
Gideon Wolf
Gideon Wolfhttps://en.coinotag.com/
GideonWolff is a 27-year-old technical analyst and journalist with extensive experience in the cryptocurrency industry. With a focus on technical analysis and news reporting, GideonWolff provides valuable insights on market trends and potential opportunities for both investors and those interested in the world of cryptocurrency.
spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Donald Trump Turns to Bitcoin (BTC) in Search for Solution to US $35 Trillion Debt Crisis

Bitcoin Magazine CEO David Bailey, who also assisted in Trump's crypto campaign, made noteworthy remarks. Bailey mentioned that Trump consulted him on whether...

Bitcoin (BTC) Hype Fades as Ethereum (ETH) ETF Ignites Debate on Market Dominance

Bitcoin’s $70K surge seems like a dream as prices and social metrics decline. Michael Saylor’s optimism clashes with market uncertainties. ...

Investors Drive Surge in Meme Coin Prices: Shiba Inu (SHIB) and Dogecoin (DOGE) Lead the Rally

Cryptocurrencies have been a hot topic in the financial world, with meme coins gaining significant attention. These...